Monday, August 29, 2011

And Social Justice for All...

So, I hesitate to write about this but I am so upset by the injustice that happens everyday to the poor of Lewiston, Maine.  White, black, immigrant, child, adult, senior, disabled....you get the idea.  This is no respecter of persons.

A week or so ago a friend of mine was trying to break up a dog fight.  Her dog was let out of her apartment by a boy who, for the sake of irony, lived in the apartment with the other dog, a pitbull.  Let's just say she suffered some pretty amazing bruising and teeth marks to her hands.  Obviously, if the pitbull wanted to cause her serious damage it would have.  This is where the "justice for all" comes in to play.  The police department was called and upon arrival at the scene starting questioning my friend.  Who is a young single mother.  I think this girl is amazing. She totally struggles with anxiety in a way that most can't even comprehend.  How do you think she reacted when the police showed up? She couldn't answer questions, she was nervous, afraid, most likely having a panic attack.  Her hand needed stitches, and not to mention she is scared of most dogs.  How do you think the police responded to her?   Well, she thought she was being accused of being on drugs.    Does the police department of Lewiston, Maine really have trouble identifying the difference between anxiety and drug use.   Please.   So the next best thing to do is send in a DHS worker without an appointment and have her look in all the rooms.  That is total justice.   I am so angry about this.  Do we lose rights because of our residence?  Do we become less human because we struggle financially? or struggle emotionally?   I can honestly say that the police would never have reacted this way on Cote St, or Strawberry Ave. 

I understand that crazy stuff happens down here all the time.   But if my friend that works in the emergency room at the hospital can look at each case and individual separate from their socio-economic status than why can't the police and DHS.   

This is not the only scenario I know of.   My husband had an issue a couple years ago and actually complained to the police chief who seemed to care.  Another instance my son was walking home from high school when a cruiser swerved close to the sidewalk hitting a mud puddle right next to him.   At the time I told him it had to be coincidence, he was trying to avoid something in the road.  Makes me wonder,  if I am ever in a bad situation will I really want the police to show up......

Moving right along onto a different but similar subject.... I'm reading Ezekiel right now so maybe some of my thoughts are coming from that place.

As Christians we are supposed to recognize injustice of all sorts.  Whether it be in Africa or outside our front window.  I think it is easier to be a part of what is going on overseas than be a part of what is happening in your backyard.   Myself included.  I send my tithe to others that are doing the work.  They need that financial support,  and it's easier for me to wipe my hands after.

We have some Muslim friends.  When someone has a need they (they, being the community) pull resources and take care of it.  There was a lady whose husband died.  The Muslim community is  financially taking care of her for the rest of her life. (not sure if it would stop if she stopped going to mosque)  Someone is hospitalized without having insurance.   Bill taken care of.   Talk about social justice.  Taking care of the sick, widows, etc..  We were talking to a fellow Christian we've known for a long time.  When he told us of a story of sick baby and the hospital bill, Curtis told him what the Muslims do.  His reaction was "huh" and changed the subject.  God has not called us to sit around on our wallets.  He has called us to give away everything.  This goes against a particular financial guys philosophy I know. 

I was thinking what if Christians were once again known by there love.  





1 comment:

Lisa Sacks said...

Wow Anita! That's what I experienced in Waco, Texas. You just don't realize the prejudices until you are living in the middle of it. Jesus walked the path we are to follow. He dwelt with those people who we might naturally avoid, and rebuked the people who we would want to befriend. Maybe the Lord has you there to be an advocate; maybe to see how He has advocated for us! Love ya, Lisa