Monday, April 11, 2011

A Good Work

As I get older I feel that I am becoming more immovable in my ideals, beliefs, and I suppose this is what constitutes the essence of who I am.   Take me or leave me. 

I love the whole book of Philippians.  Thank's Marv for making us memorize it in Bible School.  It just makes sense the way Paul moves through his theme woven throughout the book.  It was my first real experience with memorizing a passage that made more and more sense as I became more and more familiar with it.   I particularly love the first chapter.  It is so personable, kind, and just overall spoken with love to the people on his heart.

I love this city, even though......the job is huge......the people are shall I say sometimes confrontational, loud, messy, friendly, smiley, playful, unaware...(but aren't we all)

I cleaned my yard last Friday, and guess what?  I have greening grass.  Sweet!


My heart and soul have been up and down these last couple weeks.  It has been constant hard work for me without a break.  I am still not unpacked and have no plans to be for a while. The little's are very busy playing, fighting, destroying, crying, eating, eating, eating.... I find myself searching the house for that smell that i can't quite identify, usually to no avail.  There are meals to make, kids to drive, homework to help with (although I'm sorry to say I think my kids are surpassing my intellect!)  People to chase out of the yard, lessons to teach the thieving children(God bless their little souls.... :)  If you've ever lived in a tribal situation you get what I am saying.  It's a free for all out here!

You may wonder if I am happy to be in my house, on my street living here in the downtown - ABSOLUTELY!  I wouldn't have it any other way, but however,  I may have a touch of culture shock!  I would expect this in the jungle of Venezuela but not so much in the jungle of Lewiston.

Anyways, keep my rants in perspective please.....  Now to Philippians - my thought for today

 3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
 7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. 8 God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
 9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

Thanks to Curtis I have a real appreciation for all that labor in this town.  There are so many great churches of all different denominations working together for the same goal of reaching the lost.  In so doing people are getting fed, children are getting loved, parents are getting counsel, homes are getting repaired, people are getting jobs,  relationships are forming and so on and so forth. 

He who has started a good work in me will see it through until completion.  (hopefully my house as well..  hahaha)


Here is just a taste of the good work going on my home.  It was so special that I just couldn't help but take a little video and share it with you all.

1 comment:

Emily said...

A - when we lived in NY I fought and cried for two years. At one point in my stubborness God put my month in Calcutta clear in my vision. It was a turning point for me, and I often come back to it. (And would you imagine, I frequently forget it and need to be - re-learned it?!) Anyhow, it was, for me, if God can use me and strengthen me on the streets of Calcutta why not NY (Lewiston for those years, and now Waterville, and sometimes just in the context of our family).
I love that you compare you'r missional living with jungle missional living. So glad to be a reader of your blog... thanks for your vulnerability and helping me to 'keep it real'.

Em